Berberine, a plant alkaloid popular in traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. It is most commonly used for diabetes and cardiovascular health because recently few studies have shown great improvements in these areas.
For people with diabetes it:
- Stimulates the uptake of glucose into the cells
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- Reduces glucose production in the liver
For people with heart-related problems it:
- Slows the release of free fatty acids, which lowers lipid levels and prevents harmful fat deposition
- Boosts fat burning in the mitochondria
- Stimulates the release of nitric oxide (NO), a signaling molecule that relaxes the arteries, increases blood flow and lowers blood pressure, and protects against atherosclerosis
Bioperine enhances absorption.